I did manage to get some pictures of some new species for the 1km square. One of the first things I potted from the sweep net was this plant bug Liocoris tripustulatus, otherwsie known as the Common Nettle Bug.
|Common Nettle Bug Liocoris tripustulatus|
Another bug that I have found in this are is this rhopalid bug Rhopalus subrufus, a common bug of grassy and wooded areas. There are several very similar species, though the whitish tip to the scutellum is amongst the characters that help to identify this.
On a similar theme, a Red-headed Cardinal Beetle Pyrochroa serraticornis was another nice find. Another common species, but the first I have recorded locally.
|Red-headed Cardinal Beetle Pyrochroa serraticornis|
I was very pleased to find a new micromoth, Micropterix aruncella, which is a small but beautiful species. This is an unusual moth as it one of a few that actually feed on the pollen of various plants.
Returning home today, I found this tortoise beetle on the side of the house. This is a challenging group to identify, but the wedge shaped mark and dark area on the edge of the wing cases identify this as Cassida vibex.