Sunday 17 May 2015

A cut above

I was very pleased to record a Glaucous Shears Papestra biren in the trap this morning, This is a moth that has been recorded by the National Trust in Cardingmill Valley, so I was hoping that one may eventually find its way to my mothtrap. This is a moth of the uplands, listing heather (Caluna) as a larval foodplant.

Glaucous Shears Papestra biren

There was also an early Lychnis Hadena bicruris, which I would not normally expect to see until June. This is a moth I have only recorded once before, so a fresh example had to be photographed.

Lychnis Hadena bicruris

The old favourite, Angle Shades Phlogophora meticulosa, also made its first appearance in adult form. This is an odd moth for me in that I have recorded many more just out and about in the garden, particularly attracted to the porch light, than in the moth trap itself.

Angle Shades Phlogophora meticulosa

Also out a little early was a Shoulder-striped Wainscot Leucania comma. I find the wainscots a very tricky group, but the combination of white line, dark shoulder markings and dark markings near the wingtip help with the identification.

Shoulder-striped Wainscot Leucania comma

No comments:

Post a Comment