Thursday 3 September 2015

Autumn harvest

It was a warm night and ideal for moth trapping, but an early start for a meeting in Bakewell meant that this was off the table. With the nights beginning to draw in, I decided to put on the porch light for an hour before I went to bed to see if anything was attracted.

This proved to be a successful approach. Amongst a couple of Flounced Rustic Luperina testacea and the first Autumnal Rustic Eugnorisma glareosa of the year, I found this attractive grey moth. I did not know what it was, which is always a cause of excitement with a macro moth. So I got out my books, and on a hunch looked up a couple of species. This enabled identification as a Grey Chi Antitype chi, the black mark on the middle of the forewing being diagnostic. This is a moth of moorland and grassy hillsides, similar habitat preferences to many species I record here. The only surprise is that it has taken me this long to find one.

Grey Chi Antitype chi

As a departure from lepidoptera, I have been seeing this attractive harvestman scurrying about on the walls of the house in recent days. When I arrived back from my drive this afternoon, I finally managed to get a photograph and an identification. This is a male Leiobunum rotundum, an attractive species with a globular orange body and black legs, often found on walls.

Leiobunum rotundum

No comments:

Post a Comment