Thursday 30 July 2015

Shouting Larva, Larva, Larva

I read somewhere recently how several moth larvae feed inside the seedpods of Red Campion Silene dioica, and since then I have been looking for evidence of this on the Red Campions in the garden. I met with some success this evening, when I found this fat caterpillar whilst I was collecting Red Campion seed for my mother.

The Lychnis Hadena bicruris larva

This is the larva of The Lychnis Hadena bicruris, which is one of species that feeds inside the seedpods. This looks to be a pretty tight fit, so I expect it will not be there for too much longer.

Red Campion Silene dioica

The were two other larva in the garden today, both of which are yet to be identifed. The first was this attractive sawfly larva, which looks to be one of the Nematis species. Whilst there are plenty of photographs of similar larvae being confidently identified on the internet, I think there needs to be a bit of caution with these. So I will not take this further at this stage.

Nematis sawfly sp.

Finally, this juicy beetle larva was dug up from the soil in the garden by Jo whilst was doing some planting. I am not sure what this is, or whether it can be identifed, but I will investigate further.

Beetle larva sp.

No comments:

Post a Comment